Saturday, July 20, 2013

For You alone are God eternal

Finally an off day to myself ( more ) since the start of the month. 

Went to outreach in school today and to my utmost surprise, I ran into a primary schoolmate! We've never spoken to each other before cause I was stuck in the same class for 4 years and nobody socialises at age 10. And guess what, she stays near me too! Which makes going Axis super convenient so I think it's likely she can join us for Keep Calm and Look Up yay! #eggcited

Met Jinlin for shepherding as well and I got to eat my Botak Jones praise the Lord. Try craving for salmon and baked cheese potato for more than a year.

Did some reading just now and had a couple of new learnings ( literally lol ):


Colossians 3 Commentary

Colossians  3:5-11challenges us to “put off” the old ways in Adam and Col 3:12-17calls us to live out the Christ life in the setting of fellowship with other saints. This sequence is significant, for we must be right in our own inner lives if we want to be right in our relationships with our brothers and sisters in Christ.



Can you lose your salvation ( carm.org - all time favourite )


Louis Berkhof in his Systematic Theology covers “temporary faith” as being distinguished from “true saving faith.”  Berkhof writes that temporary faith is most likely “grounded in the emotional life and seeks personal enjoyment rather than the glory of God.”  That’s why it is not difficult to understand why this kind of false faith is quickly lost when God or the church ceases to be fun, when it loses its appeal.

Unlike saving faith, temporary faith, Berkhof writes, “is not rooted in a regenerate heart.”  He locates temporary faith in God’s Word in Matthew 13:18-23 (NKJV).


It is my opinion, and I stress opinion, that it is not possible to lose one's salvation. I base this on scriptures that seem to have a more "eternal" perspective on them. For example, on the day of judgment when some seek salvation based upon their works Jesus will say to them, "I never knew you" (Matt. 7:21-23). They were never known, that is, they were never saved although they appeared, from the human perspective, to be saved. Jesus says that His sheep will "never perish but have eternal life" (John 10:28).  How can eternal life be eternal if it can be lost particularly when Jesus said that they will never perish.  If they will never perish, then they can't lose their salvation.   Also, Paul says that nothing will be able to separate us from the love of God (Rom. 8:38-39). I see these "divine perspective" type verses as giving us glimpses into the viewpoint of God. I see the other verses as being stated from a human perspective, that they appeared to be saved and then appeared to lose it (Gal. 5:4Heb. 6:4-6).  

However, 1 John 2:19 says in dealing with antichrists, "They went out from us, but they were not really of us; for if they had been of us, they would have remained with us; but they went out, in order that it might be shown that they all are not of us," (NASB).  I see this verse saying two things:  First, that if it appears that false teachers leave because they are not regenerated to begin with.  In other words, if someone had salvation and then lost it, it was because they never were saved in the first place.  Second, it says that if someone is saved, they will remain in the faith.

No comments: