Quote from "Weapons of Attack" from Derek Prince's "Spiritual Conflict" series.
And now, Lord, behold their threatenings: and grant unto thy servants, that with all boldness they may speak thy word, by stretching forth thine hand to heal; and that signs and wonders may be done by the name of thy holy child Jesus. - Acts 4:29-30 (KJV)
What’s the weapon there? The name of Jesus, that’s right. They used the Word of God and the name of Jesus. Their prayers were the vehicle for those weapons. And I’d like you to notice their prayers were very specific. They said “Grant unto thy servants that with all boldness we may speak thy word by stretching forth thine hand to heal; and that signs and wonders may be done by the name of Jesus.” You see, many of our prayers are so vague we wouldn’t really know if God answered or not. It takes courage to pray a prayer like that. They said, “Lord, we need miracles.” And you know what? We need them today.
You see, there’s a real deep psychology in this. Miracles give the church the initiative. You don’t have to go and beg people to listen to you when God does visible miracles. People come to you and say, “How did it happen?” That gives you boldness. And that’s the principle on which the early church acted. We need more visible miracles today. And I suppose if we met God’s conditions and prayed for them, we’d have them. But some of us are so spiritual that we don’t need miracles any longer. I don’t believe that. I think we do. At least, Lord, I want you to know I need them. If others don’t, please don’t leave me out. I need them.
All right. What happened when they prayed that way? Well, the result was exciting. Verse 31:
When they had prayed, the place was shaken where they were assembled together; and they were all filled with the Holy Ghost, and they spake the word of God with boldness. (KJV)
The initiative passed back to the people of God. Have you ever been in a place which was shaken physically by the power of God? I have. I was praying with three people in a car once in Egypt. The car was stationary, the engine was switched off, and when God moved into that car, that whole car rattled and vibrated as if it had been traveling at 50 miles an hour along an uneven road. And I knew God was speaking to me. And I can tell you He had my attention!
Yes Lord, please don't leave me out; I need them.
Miracles like healing and deliverance really demonstrate the power of God. Such moments are direct clashes between the kingdom of darkness and the kingdom of light, and Light always shines in and prevails.
Darkness has to flee.
But one important thing is that the victim has to feel like he is suffering. If he's happy with darkness, then I think he might find the light too bright for his comfort.
That's why God afflicts us at times. To experience the consequences of sin and to go back to Him.
Discipline; that's what He calls.
And He disciplines those He loves.
No comments:
Post a Comment