While listening to a missionary today during YWAM GoFest, he said something that triggered a memory of something miraculous a couple of years ago.
He said (to paraphrase him), "The most challenging giving is when God calls you to give even though you have nothing left of your own to give."
And yet that's when you get to see Him do miracles like never before.
I know first-hand.
Back in Apr 2013, when I went to Tokyo for 2 weeks to serve the homeless there, I sensed the Lord telling me clearly to bring only $500 worth of yen - not a yen more or a yen less.
So I did, and inevitably ended living on 100-yen ramen (tip: it tastes as much as it cost), and the goodwill of friends and hosts.
Then one day, I passed by some homeless people on my way back to the hostel. Was praying for them in my heart, when I suddenly sensed the Lord telling me to go feed them even though I don't have money to do so.
I was surprised. "How, Lord? But... if it's really You telling me to give to them, then I trust You to provide me with the food one way or another."
The next day, after helping out with a church giving out food to the homeless, we were packing up, when one of the pastors suddenly smiled at me, and dumped a _huge_ bag of leftover bread into my hands.
Long story short, I realized the Lord was giving me free food to feed all those homeless people. He even had to remind me that the heavy bag of bread was meant for the homeless people, because I forgot what I had prayed yesterday!
Amazing. grin emoticon
And as if to reinforce the point, the very next day, someone else suddenly handed me a whole box of _cakes_. Many homeless people enjoyed delicious cake that day.
And that's where we see the difference between normal giving and giving by the Spirit. The needs of the world are so overwhelming that on our own we. will. utterly. fail.
But if Christ calls us to give, He will also provide the resources. Not by might, nor by power, but by His Spirit.
For with the Father is _always enough_.
"... sorrowful, yet always rejoicing; poor, yet making many rich; having nothing, and yet possessing everything." (2 Cor 6:10)
左手拖着侧脸,闭着眼睛;微笑
"Father, I really love how You're compassionate, how You care for the poor, how You provide for them."

No comments:
Post a Comment